||10/26/2012 12:55:05 AM|
Survey: Win8 considered safer but few desire to buy a new Win8 PC
RAGUE, Czech Republic, October 25, 2012 – Over 350,000 computer users surveyed by AVAST Software indicate that they expect the new Microsoft® (NASDAQ: MSFT) Windows 8 operating system to be safer, but only 8% of respondents said they will buy a new computer any sooner because of it.
- Two thirds of survey respondents were running Windows 7, yet despite highly publicized security vulnerabilities in older operating systems (OS) such as XP and Vista, a full 30% of respondents are still taking chances with the two latter OS.
- Microsoft has done a very good job in publicizing the new Windows 8 OS, as the majority respondents were aware of its pending arrival.
- Nearly two out of three Windows users believes that Microsoft has gotten better at improving the security of its OS offerings over the years.
- While almost half believe that the new Windows 8 would be even more secure, 14% were skeptical.
- Despite such high belief in its higher security value over Windows 7 and older OS, at least 78% answered that they do not intend to purchase a new computer sooner just to have Windows 8.
- More than a quarter of respondents in fact do not plan to buy a Windows-based PC at all, instead intending to go with an iPad or Mac.
For this survey, AVAST Software surveyed more than 350,000 of its users across seven languages: English, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Polish, and Czech. Fieldwork conducted October 23-24, 2012.
Q: Which Operating System does your computer have?
Windows 7: 65%
Windows XP: 22%
Windows Vista: 8%
Don't know: 3%
Q: Are you aware that the new Windows 8 will soon be released?
Not sure: 7%
Q: Do you think that Windows has actually gotten safer over the years?
Definitely yes: 18%
Probably yes: 46%
Not sure: 30%
Probably no: 4%
Definitely no: 2%
Q: Do you think Windows 8 will be safer than previous Windows OS?
Definitely yes: 10%
Probably yes: 36%
Not sure: 40%
Probably no: 11%
Definitely no: 3%
Q: Do you plan to get a new computer sooner to have the new Windows 8?
Definitely yes: 2%
Probably yes: 6%
Not sure: 14%
Probably no: 32%
Definitely no: 46%
Q: Do you plan to get a new computer soon? If yes, what will it be?