||10/18/2012 10:56:00 PM|
Siber Systems Recognizes National Cyber Security Awareness With Five Expert Tips on Password Creation and Management
Fairfax, VA – Siber Systems, Inc., a leading developer of software productivity tools for consumers and businesses, today announced several tips for companies and individuals looking to improve the security of their passwords in honor of National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM).
Despite advanced firewalls and other systems that help prevent sophisticated attacks, many breaches still occur because of human error caused by poor password selection or not safeguarding the location of passwords. Siber Systems offers these five password-related tips to help companies and individuals avoid personal or professional misfortune:
- Create passwords that are difficult for anyone to guess, including friends, family and hackers. Avoid passwords that relate on a personal level, instead use upper and lower case letters, random symbols, and do not use any word found in the dictionary. One trick is to choose the first letters of each word from a random phrase such as “I like to eat pineapple daily”, to get “iLtEPd”, with the addition of a symbol and number for added measure. Also change passwords every 30 days.
- Do not utilize default passwords such as “1234” that were provided automatically or by system administrators. Using such a password means someone else or a system has a record of the current password, making it unsecure. Change defaults immediately to a memorable and random password.
- Writing down passwords is an especially troublesome habit. Pieces of paper provide others with a simple way to capture and exploit passwords. Use a secure tool to manage various passwords, or take parts of a unique and memorable phrase to create a password.
- Avoid duplication at all costs. Using the same or very similar passwords (Charles10 and Charles17 for example) across multiple logins exposes individuals and entire enterprises to significant risk. Be sure to use different passwords for every login.
- Utilize technology tools to make password management and selection easier. RoboForm (www.roboform.com) securely stores passwords on computers, mobile devices such as iPhones and Android phones, as well as USB drives.
NCSAM is designed to engage and educate public and private sector partners through events and initiatives with the goal of raising awareness about cybersecurity and increasing the resiliency of the nation in the event of a cyber incident. Visit http://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month for more information.
RoboForm from Siber Systems allows users to securely create a Master Password which gives them access to multiple Logins. The solution can also create random and secure passwords that fit the unique criteria of any login processes. Users then have the ability to login to websites automatically simply by providing the Master Password.
About Siber Systems:
Founded in 1995, Siber Systems creates and markets software products for consumers and businesses around the world. Our software is highly acclaimed and has received numerous awards, including PC Magazine Editor's Choice, CNET's Best Software of the Year, and PC World's 25 Products We Can't Live Without. The company's flagship products, RoboForm and GoodSync, are used by millions of people worldwide, with registered customers in over 100 countries. GoodSync, an easy and reliable automatic file synchronization program, was released in 2006 and already enjoys favorable reviews from users and the press. RoboForm Enterprise has been solving password management problems quickly, easily and cost-effectively since 1999. RoboForm Enterprise reduces employee passwords to one secure, master password and provides an easy and cost-effective way to improve password security while making employees more productive and helping organizations to recognize immediate IT cost savings. As part of the company's strong commitment to customer satisfaction, its software comes with a risk-free trial. Headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia, Siber Systems is privately held.